Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The cultural Mecca of Charleston





Charleston, Oregon is a small town. I tried to find the exact population online, but I was unable to do so. It has a notable large marina at the mouth of Coos Bay, but the town of Coos Bay is located about 6 miles away. (Coos Bay has a population of about 15,000 people). I wish that I could give you an accurate account of what it's like to live in Charleston, Oregon without a car. Charleston itself offers very little to do. Bastendorff beach is located only a mile away, and we do go there often, but it's usually too cold to stay long and much too cold to swim. I explore the forests fairly frequently, but there is an unfortunate number of homeless people and I don't like to venture into the woods alone. Charleston has a very high number of gift shops, full of pictures of kittens, jams, jellies, usual tourist kitch, and crude tee shirts. There is one charming pottery store run by artisan women with very reasonable prices. Like every other town in the Pacific Northwest there is an espresso drive through. However, one place stands out above all others. It is so far beyond any other establishment in Charleston it has nicknamed itself, The Cultural Mecca of Charleston. It is a small outfit called Davey Jone's Locker.
The catchy name and slogan lures many people in, only to be alarmed by the outrageous prices, probably only acceptable as the next grocery store is 2 miles away. The store sells groceries, candy, postcards, a few fishing supplies, hot fried food, and ice cream. It's sort of a hodge podge or downsized version of Wal-Mart, but on a much lower scale. Customer service is hit and miss, but usually fine for me as I never buy alcohol or come into the store drunk as many of the other local patrons. All things considered it really IS the Cultural Mecca of Charleston, a bit alarming perhaps, but true, and I find myself there more often than I would wish.

2 comments:

  1. This made me very happy. I've been waiting for it for so long. The quality of the BBQ just improved exponentially.
    Is there some trick to getting out of Davey Jones' Locker? The Pirates movie makes it seem so bizarre. Something about flipping your outfit over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more of a "grab 'n go" technique to getting out... the longer you stay... the less likely you leave... with any money left.

    I feel I would have wasted the trip had we not actually longboarded down there... :)

    ReplyDelete